The Yellow Jacket

The Student Voice of Randolph-Macon College

The Yellow Jacket

The Yellow Jacket

Image via Downtown Ashland Association
Ashland Train Day 2024
April 24, 2024

The History of Earth Day

Photo by Fateme Alaie, 2020

Earth Day is an annual event celebrated on April 22nd to show support for environmental protection. This event was first celebrated in 1970 and is now coordinated globally by the Earth Day Network, celebrated in more than 193 different countries. Earth Day serves as a gentle reminder of the importance of environmental conservation.

The legacy of Earth Day began in the 1960s when the United States began to see significant environmental changes. The first Earth Day was organized by Wisconsin Senator, Gaylord Nelson. Senator Nelson witnessed the aftermath of a giant oil spill in Santa Barbara, California in January of 1969 that exposed marine life to the harsh substances that impaired the animal’s environment. This inspired him to create a day that focused on the awareness of environmental concerns like massive oil spills and the rise of industrialization. On April 22nd, 1970, thousands of people across the United States marched on the streets to protest the degradation of the environment and pursue advocacy for a more substantial planet. The first Earth Day was significant in the passage of several landmark environmental laws within the United States: the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, and the Endangered Species Act.

The Clean Air Act of 1963 was the first federal legislation passed regarding air pollution control. This allowed the usage of research to monitor air pollution. The Clean Water Act of 1972 established the structure for regulating any type of pollutants in the water. It helped regulate the quality of surface waters within the United States. Lastly, The Endangered Species Act of 1966 focuses heavily on the protection and conservation of threatened or endangered species not only in America but throughout the globe. As you can see, these laws are crucial parts of legislation that still advocate for the protection of our environment, along with public health.

Since April 22, 1970, Earth Day has grown into a global movement that is linked with various activities organized to promote environmental awareness and action. Activities of many sorts like tree planting, beach or waterways cleanup, recycling, and many more have started to become more popular.

In more recent years, Earth Day has become increasingly focused on the actions to combat climate change. Efforts to reduce greenhouse emissions and the transition to renewable energy sources are central to this celebrated day. However, themes for Earth Day vary depending on current global events. Some years it is more focused on sustainable consumption, biodiversity conservation, or the justice of the overall environment.

Overall, Earth Day serves as a reminder to individuals and communities that play a heavy role in protecting our planet. To keep our home more sustainable for future generations to come, we must reflect on our relationship with the environment and commit to taking action to preserve the planet’s natural resources.

Therefore, no matter where you are in the world, pick up that piece of trash, reduce, reuse, and recycle, conserve energy, and support your community. Love your planet and it will love you back.

Happy Earth Day RMC family and friends!!!