The Yellow Jacket

The Student Voice of Randolph-Macon College

The Yellow Jacket

The Yellow Jacket

Image via Downtown Ashland Association
Ashland Train Day 2024
April 24, 2024

OPINION: New York Russian Cultural Lobby Has Ties to the Israeli Government

A continuation of the last article published on the American-Russian Cultural Cooperation Foundation (A.R.C.C.F.).

The New York based Russian cultural foundation, Russian American Foundation is very similar to the ARCCF, but in New York.  It is a deteriorating site with unusable features and is only accessible through webarchive.org.

The group has ties to American corporations, the New York City and State Government, the Russian government and Russian corporations, the Israel government and Israeli corporations, and Jewish foundations and groups. I was unable to find the sponsor date, but was able to find that the group was founded in 1997. It is connected to the Russian Heritage Month website which also hosts the Russian American Foundation logo; However, that website is also deteriorated and none of the links are available except contact though gallery without web archive.

I could not discover the 13-16 publications of the annual Russian heritage month or Films Under the Stars (Films Under the Stars Sponsors) from the web archive. Here are the publications I was able to uncover:

12th-annual-russian-heritage-month

11th-annual-russian-heritage-month

10th-annual-russian-heritage-month

9th-annual-russian-heritage-month

8th-annual-russian-heritage-month

7th-annual-russian-heritage-month

This is different than the American-Russian Cultural Cooperation Foundation, which does not have the same level of support from Israeli sponsors. The Russian American Foundation has only the Blavatnik Family Foundation and Appeal of Conscience Foundation support. One of its members is Rabbi Arthur Schneier who runs the Appeal of Conscience Foundation and is a member of the World Jewish Congress, American Jewish Congress, Committee on Conscience, and the World Jewish Congress.

Russia and Israel continue to have decent relations with each other despite that the fact that Russia works with the Axis of Resistance and Israel’s funding of Ukrainian soldiers in the Russian-Ukrainian War. However, the relationship has been strained as the Russian government accused Israel of collective punishment of the Palestinians in gross violation of international humanitarian law. Alternatively, Vladimir Putin’s support of Israel allows Putin to show Russia as a safe haven for Jewish people, as well as to celebrate Russia’ role in fighting Nazi Germany and in the liberation of Jewish people from Auschwitz.

New York City street with pedestrians
New York City