The Yellow Jacket

The Student Voice of Randolph-Macon College

The Yellow Jacket

The Yellow Jacket

What is Macon a Difference Day?

Image via rmc.edu

Macon a Difference Day is an event held in the spring, courtesy of Randolph-Macon College. It is an annual event just for RMC that centers around Earth Day and Youth Service Day. This year, Macon a Difference Day is being held on April 21, 2024, from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. The main goal of this day is to bring people together to help with community needs, to help make positive changes, and to create lasting memories for all who are involved.

Students, staff, and faculty will also team up with the Hanover Youth Group to clean up the Town of Ashland! These collaborations have numerous benefits to the community and environment around us. For example, it shows pride in our community and allows for the beautification of it while enhancing positive changes. Not only does this show teamwork and strength, but it also sets a positive example for environmental engagement.

Participants will engage in a variety of community service activities like picking up litter, staining decks, or assisting in painting projects for locals within the community, weeding and planting in the garden, raking leaves, and so much more. This day allows for many on-campus organizations to come together and collaborate with their skills. Macon a Difference Day allows not only the students from RMC but also those in the community to foster the idea of giving back.

However, before Macon a Difference Day comes, there is a tree planting ceremony that takes place annually. On April 18, 2024, at noon, the Town of Ashland, the Virginia Arbor Day Foundation, and the RMC SERVE Committee come together to make a positive impact on the local community through planting trees. This event will be held on the RMC campus where guests are encouraged to join in the ceremony to plant trees that will contribute to environmental sustainability. Not only does tree planting enhance the appeal of the RMC campus, but it also provides environmental benefits like improving air quality and giving the RMC squirrels new playgrounds. All are invited and encouraged to attend!

Overall, Macon a Difference Day aligns with RMC’s love for personal growth. It allows college students to make a positive impact on not only their community but themselves as well. It is a good example of coming together to learn about our community and each other!