The Yellow Jacket

The Student Voice of Randolph-Macon College

The Yellow Jacket

The Yellow Jacket

Cooling Off For CASA With KAO

The “Cooling off for CASA” event organized by Kappa Alpha Theta is being hosted on April 26, 2024, from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. located at the Mary Branch Circle.

The event’s lineup of activities, which include popsicles, a water slide, sand volleyball, and water squirters, promises to provide an enjoyable experience for all attendees while contributing to a meaningful cause. By purchasing a five-dollar ticket from a Theta sister, guests not only get to participate in festivities but also contribute to supporting children in need through CASA and the Theta Foundation.

The Epsilon Omicron chapter of Kappa Alpha Theta was installed at RMC on April 7th, 1984. Not too long after the installation, Theta’s all around the United States began to stand beside and support the National CASA/GAL Association for Children since 1989. The National Court Appointed Special Advocate/Guardians ad Litem (CASA/GAL) Association for Children was created to help make a positive impact on the lives of children who may be experiencing abusive homes, neglect, or are in the foster care system. Kappa Alpha Theta’s long-standing support reflects its commitment to making a positive impact on the lives of children who are experiencing abuse, neglect, or involvement in the foster care system. Their partnership with Henrico CASA demonstrates their dedication to working alongside organizations that strive to ensure the well-being and welfare of vulnerable children.

The purpose of the sorority event is to highlight CASA and those who work beside the organization. The Court Appointed Special Advocates are individuals who are appointed by a judge to represent children who are being abused, neglected, or involved in the foster system. This program helps recruit, train, and support individuals who serve as advocates for children who have been removed from an abusive home life. CASA volunteers under specialized training. to make sure they have the best interest in the child’s well-being within their personal needs and the legal system.

Payton Bartok’s initiative in creating the “Cooling off for CASA” event as Kappa Alpha Theta’s Vice President of External Affairs demonstrates leadership and dedication to the organization’s philanthropy. By creating this event, Bartok not only shows her admiration for KAO’s philanthropy but also provides a platform to raise awareness for CASA programs across the United States. Through events like “Cooling off for CASA,” the Theta sisters can engage with their community, promote awareness about the critical work of CASA volunteers, and raise funds to support children in need. Payton stated “Being Vice President of External Affairs has made me grow exponentially as a person. It has made me a better leader and given me such a great opportunity to get involved in service and CASA. I’ve gotten to work with such amazing people and could not be more grateful for everything this position has done for me.” (Payton Bartok ‘25). Theta. Her dedication to supporting CASA’s mission aligns with the organization’s values of service, advocacy, and making a difference in the lives of others.

Kappa Alpha Theta helps to encourage its members to make a difference within their local communities. As a sister of Kappa Alpha Theta, Sophia Locricchio ‘25 recognizes the importance of leadership and advocacy within the sorority’s philanthropy. Locricchio stated “Theta has allowed me to take on leadership roles and advocate for a cause I care about. Being able to impact kids in our local area and help support their CASAs is easy to advocate for! I’m super excited we can have fun events like Coolin off for CASA that make big impacts for the kids in our area.” This helps paint the idea that the Theta sisters are not only able to have fun but also make significant impacts by helping support children in their local area.

“Since joining Kappa Alpha Theta at Randolph-Macon College I have been presented with a vast number of social, service, leadership, and scholarship opportunities that have truly enriched my college experience. As a Freshman, I immersed myself in leadership positions and have had the privilege of serving on Kappa Alpha Theta’s executive board for three years. From starting as Vice President of Panhellenic Counsel to now serving as President, I have learned so many valuable lessons and surrounded myself with amazing women who continuously uplift me and inspire me to challenge myself to be the best leader I can be. That being said, I have loved the unique experience of getting to lead some of my best friends and empowering them to engage in the four points of the Theta Kite, leadership, scholarship, personal excellence, and service!” stated Samantha Gentry, KAO president.

With that being said, the Kappa Alpha Theta sisters take their philanthropy pride by heart. They enjoy being able to give back to their sisters, foundations, communities, and themselves. It’s heartening to see the Theta sisters of RMC come together to support such an important cause and to recognize the invaluable work of CASA volunteers in advocating for children’s rights and safety within the legal system. Events like these not only raise awareness but also inspire action and community involvement in making a difference in the lives of those who need it most.