The Yellow Jacket

The Student Voice of Randolph-Macon College

The Yellow Jacket

The Yellow Jacket

Ashland Train Day 2024

Image via Downtown Ashland Association

Ashland Train Day is a celebration that takes place in Ashland, Virginia.  This year, it will be held on April 27, 2024; this annual event commemorates the town’s train and railroad history.

To understand Train Day, you must recognize the history behind it. In the 19th century, a railroad track ran through Richmond, Fredericksburg, and Potomac (RF&P) which helped play a significant role in Ashland’s overall economy and development. The station was remodeled and rebuilt in 1923, replacing the original station built in 1866. Home to a visitor center, this station serves the Northwest Regional trains that run through Richmond, Newport News, Norfolk, and  many other stops along the way.

There are many activities taking place during Train Day in Ashland, the “Center of the Universe.” Attendees will get to learn about Virginia’s railroad history and will get to see fully loaded CSX freight trains as well as Amtrak passenger trains throughout the day. Model trains and vintage railroad equipment, including a red caboose, will be on display. Guests will also get to see fire trucks, ambulances, dump trucks, and tractors! Children will be able to take train rides and tour all the festivities; they will also be able to participate in a scavenger hunt that involves collecting stamps as they explore the event. After the children have collected the stamps, they may cash in their compelled ticket for a free prize.  To also celebrate Children’s Day (El Día del Niño), a Mexican holiday that is celebrated on April 30th, the event will host clowns, dancers, and jugglers for entertainment. More than one hundred local community volunteers will work at the event to make sure all attendees have the best experience possible.

Ashland Train Day is a beloved event that both honors the town’s railroad heritage and provides entertainment and enjoyment for residents and visitors who attend.  This event is always said to be entertaining as it provides a wide variety of activities and attractions. Whether you may be a train enthusiast, a history buff, or are out for a fun-filled day, Ashland Train Day offers something for everyone!