The Yellow Jacket

The Student Voice of Randolph-Macon College

The Yellow Jacket

The Yellow Jacket

What Summer 2024 Activities Can You Expect in Ashland?

Even though RMC students are closing their 2023-2024 academic year, the Center of the Universe will not go unseen for the summer.

To start off strong, the Ashland Farmers Market will be open every Saturday from May to October from 9am to 12pm. This farmers market is a producer-only market that mainly highlights Ashland’s agriculture and food products. Vendors from a thirty-mile radius of Ashland can join the list and sell their grown, baked, or handmade items to local community members.

In the month of June, the town of Ashland will host the “Ashland Strawberry Faire” starting at 10am. This faire celebrates the new and fresh arrival of strawberry season. The faire features many activities like live performances, delicious foods that offer all sorts of strawberry flavored items, arts, crafts, games, and so much more. This day is filled with fun and joy as the locals of Ashland come together to celebrate the delicious fruit. Also in June, on Randolph-Macon’s campus, on the 21st, 24th, and 26th, new student registration and family orientation will be hosted from 8am to 4pm. This event allows for new students and their families to have an official first day on campus and be able to meet fellow classmates.

In the month of July, hosted in Blackwell Auditorium, the Tony DeSare concert will be on the 13th from 7pm to 8:30pm. DeSare was named Rising Star Male Vocalist in Downbeat Magazine and has since then lived up to his name. DeSare takes his fresh take on old school classics and shares it with individuals who have the similar taste.

Lastly, in the month of August, Randolph Macon College will host their new student orientation and welcome weekend for their new freshman class of 2028, as well as the students of the 2025, 2026, and 2027 classes. From August 29th to September 1st new students will have a weekend schedule full of activities to help them learn about RMC and acclimate to their new home!