Inside Club 1830

Photo by Rachel Halstead.

Grace Gorham, Digital Director

A campus-based nightclub is the newest addition to activities that RMC offers on the weekends – giving students an inviting and inclusive space to have fun.

Associate Dean of Students James McGhee came up with the idea for a nightclub after a survey found that students wanted to have more things to do on the weekends.

Senior Coordinator of Student Life Elizabeth Simmons is in charge of organizing and planning the club night.

While the Student Engagement Center offers activities like Late Night Brock and First Fridays on weekends, these sometimes aren’t the late-night social environment that students are looking for.

Simmons’ main priority in introducing the club night is to make sure that everyone has a place to go and enjoy themselves.

“I want anyone to feel comfortable coming into the space. It doesn’t belong to anybody; it doesn’t belong to a clique… There’s no reason that someone should feel uncomfortable going to a space on campus,” said Simmons.

Simmons has been working hard to make Club 1830 a place where students can enjoy themselves – especially on the opening day.

“I was nervous because the event was the next day, and the floors were brown. I thought it was going to be just me, Debbie (one of the housekeepers), and two mops, but she brought her whole team, and I thought it was sweet because they volunteered for that. I was very emotional and I did tear up quite a few times…”

Not only has she literally put sweat and tears into the project, but she has also taken student feedback and is trying to get the barrier for the bar removed, she added a dart board, simplified the check in process and is getting more activities.

Even with Simmons’ effort, junior Madison Anonick feels that most students are pretty set in their ways.

“Because the club was implemented in the middle of the year, I think people were already set in their party routines and what they prefer to do on the weekend which is why there hasn’t been the best turn out,” said Anonick.

While the opening night had a turnout of 91 people, there haven’t been consistently high attendance numbers.

Sophomore Kieran Magner believes that this is because the club is competing with Greek life.

“It seems like people don’t show up to things unless there’s Greek letters on the building… I feel like Greek life doesn’t have to advertise and 80 people show up… it’s a part of campus culture,” said Magner.

Club 1830 does not have Greek letters on its sign, but that doesn’t mean that it is any better or worse than a frat party.

Junior Madison Anonick noted that the club may not be for everyone, but it provides a “party” setting on campus to enjoy with friends.

“I personally love the vibes because you can request any songs you want and there’s a lot of open space so it doesn’t get hot and stuffy inside… if you want a fun space to hang with your friends, I think Club 1830 is the perfect place for that,” said Anonick.

Magner also thought that the concept of college sponsored nightlife is something that students will have to get used to.

“It’s a change in culture that people aren’t yet adapted to… having college sponsored nightlife…This has the opportunity to be a fun experience if everyone goes at the same time. Some people with a lot of influence or Yakarma could push a specific time that everyone shows up, and it could be fun from there,” said Magner.

The student body will need to come together to make Club 1830 a fun place for everyone, and there will need to be a shift in mindset of many people. Just because something doesn’t have Greek letters on the building does not mean that it won’t be fun.

The space is open to everyone, and it is up to students to make of it what they want.

If you have any suggestions or feedback about Club 1830, please email [email protected].