R-MC set to host weekend events in biggest homecoming celebration since COVID

Grace Bakeman, News Editor

Whether you went home, stayed on campus, or traveled, we at YJ News hope that you all had a fantastic fall break and are ready to take on school until Thanksgiving break. With six more weeks remaining until the next academic break, the semester will certainly be busy, but there are plenty of activities to enjoy with friends and family during the weekends until then.

While Family Weekend sits just behind us, this weekend will be a great opportunity to gather with the YJ community and celebrate homecoming. Throughout the weekend, Randolph-Macon will be hosting various activities for all age groups to attend and enjoy including an open art exhibit in Pace-Armistead Hall, class reunions, the Homecoming FountainFest, and of course, the homecoming tailgate throughout the day on Saturday during the home game against Bridgewater College.

Listed below are the planned events for the weekend.

From the Office of Alumni Relations 

Friday, October 14 

“New Deal” Art Exhibit  

Flippo Gallery, Pace-Armistead Hall 

10 am – 4 pm, Free to attend 

Solo art show by ODU Art History professor and painter Vittorio Colaizzi  

Ujima Gospel Choir Welcome Reception 

FoodiO, 101 N. Railroad Avenue 

4-6 pm, Free to attend 

Ujima Gospel Choir alumni and friends are invited to a welcome reception to kick off Homecoming & Reunion Weekend. Attendees will gather at FoodiO (formerly Ashland Coffee and Tea), owned by alumnae Jamie Grant ’12 and LaChelle Lewis ’12 for light refreshments. 

Last Class 

Dollar Tree Room, Brock Commons 

4:30 pm, Free to attend, RSVP encouraged 

Recently retired Professor Emeritus of History, Dr. Alpine Jefferson will offer his “last class” at R-MC. Following “class,” the Noë-Kilgore Award will be presented to an outstanding retired faculty member. 

Class Reunion Cocktail Party 

Birdsong Pavillion, Birdsong Hall 

6-8 pm, $20 per person, RSVP required 

30 classes will be celebrating reunions and milestones! Heavy hors d’oeuvres and cocktails will be served in the Birdsong Pavilion overlooking Day Field followed by live music and dancing at the Homecoming FountainFest. 

Keeble Observatory 

Copley Science Center 

7-9 pm, Free to attend 

Weather permitting; Students will be on hand to show you the stars. 

Homecoming FountainFest 

Brown Fountain Plaza 

8-11 pm, Free with Cash Bar and Food Trucks on site, RSVP encouraged 

Live music will be provided by Vinyl Headlights, a Rock, Pop, and Dance music band specializing in music from the 60s to today. Open to all Randolph-Macon supporters! 

Saturday, October 15 

Campus Store Open 

Brock Commons (9 am-5 pm) 

Stop by to visit with Barclay and purchase new Lemon and Black attire before heading over to the game and the Alumni Big Tent Party. 

Macon Mimosas 

Homecoming/Reunion Tent, Tailgate Lot next to Brock Center 

9-10:30 am, $10 per person, RSVP required 

Come to the Homecoming Reunion Tent to visit with members of the Society of Alumni Board, meet the Office of Alumni Staff, and meet up with friends! A variety of mimosas and light breakfast options will be available.  

Walking Tour of Ashland 

Meet at Brown Fountain Plaza 

10-11 am, Free, RSVP required 

Join Rosie Shalf ’78 of The Ashland Museum to enjoy a walk along the tracks and learn about the history of the town that R-MC has called home since the college opened its doors more than 150 years ago. Please wear comfortable walking shoes and arrive by 9:15 am. 

Ink, Fire, Beauty Book Signing  

Outside of the Campus Store, Brock Commons  

10-12:30 pm, Free to attend 

Jordan Renee Chappell ‘20 will be signing copies of her book, Ink, Fire, Beauty, an immersive fantasy tale Inspired by centuries of Chinese history and culture that draws readers into an ancient world where a gifted young painter uses ingenuity and determination to challenge the power of a corrupted Empire. 

Class Reunion Photos 

Homecoming/Reunion Big Tent, Tailgate lot next to the Brock Center 

10:30 am, Free to attemd 

Class Photos will be held at the HQ Tend for those celebrating class reunions. Nathan Landers ‘16, head brewer for Center of the Universe Brewing Company, will be serving commemorative beer in honor of the 150th anniversary of Washington-Franklin Hall. 

Kirk Kirkland Memorial Bench Dedication 

Brown Fountain Plaza (Rain location McGraw-Page Library) 

11 am -12 pm, Free to attend 

Friends, family, and brothers of Kirk Kirkland ’91 will gather to dedicate a memorial bench. 

All are welcome. 

150th Anniversary of Washington-Franklin Hall 

Franklin Room, Washington-Franklin Hall 

12-4 pm, Free to attend 

Celebrate the 150th Anniversary of Washington-Franklin Hall, the oldest brick building on campus. Refreshments will be served with a viewing of photos from the R-MC archives while enjoying refreshments in this historic space. 

Multicultural Alumni Reunion Kickback 

Dalton House, 303 Caroline Street 

4-6 pm, Free to attend, RSVP required 

Join members of the Multicultural Alumni Association Board and keep the celebration going. This event will include a Dj, light snacks, wine, beer, and other beverages 

Homecoming Tailgates 

Homecoming/Reunion Big Tent 

Tailgate Lot next to the Brock Center 

11 am – 3 pm, RSVP encouraged 

Meet your friends and reconnect with former classmates at the Big Tent! This will be “REUNION HQ” for those celebrating class reunions and milestones. 

Light snacks will be provided with beer and wine available for purchase. 

Affinity Tailgates 

Smith Tailgate Lot 

11 am –  3 pm 

Various departments and teams from Randolph-Macon will be hosting tailgate spots and competing for the prize for the most spirited throughout the Smith Tailgate Lot. 

Sunday, October 16 

Ujima Gospel Choir 

Old Chapel, Room 114 

9-10 am, Free to attend 

Ujima alumni will be hosting an open practice in Old Chapel which the Randolph-Macon community can join to listen to singing and the impact of Ujima in college. 

Randolph-Macon IHSA Horse Show 

Randolph-Macon Equestrian Center, 12214 Ashcake Road 

10 am – 3 pm 

Join the Randolph-Macon Equestrian Team in hosting various teams from Zone 4 Region 4 under the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association at our own Equestrian Center! Various hunt-seat divisions will be competing throughout the day.